Wednesday, May 21, 2008

what not to wear


I love vintage sewing patterns, it is a brief history of "homemade fashions".
Patterns from the 50's, 60's, and 70's are my favorites!
The image above is a Simplicity Pattern from 1956.
Check out the faces, wasn't this the decade that "happiness by meds" was introduced? Alcohol was the food of choice, because beef and that waist line certainly did not mix!

Here is another great pattern from the year I was born....1968.

I remember my childhood quite well(except for all of the stuff I have chosen to forget).
I do not recall any of my play mates in such an outfit.
I do know about this stuff, I took baton lessons when I was younger. I think I only went once....I got hit in the head by the baton of the girl standing next to me.....I think I cried all the way home, and had my mother roll her eyes at me when I told her that I would not return. It was a dangerous sport! ( I should have worn a helmet) I think I was suppose to live up to my cousin Linda's expertise....she was head majorette in high school....

these next vintage pattens say it all!

um...Dad, I have something I need to tell you.
Yes, son...there is something I need to tell you as well....

these are actually a gift for my friend Shelley, she crochets......I am going to see about getting her to make the shoes...I think they would be a hit on her ETSY shop.
I also think she should make all the men in her life vests for Christmas.....now that would be frigin' funny... especially on her husband Lincoln, and brother in law Mike....I would pee my pants!

if you look closely at these dresses there is nothing under them, but you see no "private stuff"...did they have photo shop in the 70's?

check out the "shoes"! I would kill for a pair of these( in Maroon yarn)!
Jimmy Choo eat your heart out!

1 comment:

  1. i think the longer open style vest on the left would suit someone of Mike's killer pecs... you know how he loves to display his six pack!

    ReplyDelete