Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I am a collector

it's a blessing...or maybe a curse? My husband would agree with the latter!
I collect many things; mostly vintage goods.
Two of my favorite  things to collect are Fenton hobnail glass, and mid-century tea cup and saucers.
The biggest obstacle to overcome as a collector is display space.
I have been inspired by the likes of these.


















I gave myself a budget of $200.00, and went out to find my cabinet.
Well...add a 1 in front of the 200, and maybe I would have found one.
So, I went on craigslist, and found a few prospects.
There were loads of second hand cabinets for sale...but they were still out of my price range.

I found one that was really well made for $200.00, but talked her down to $170.00.
Which left me just enough to by Ben Moore's alklyd paint (a must have for painting furniture!),
and a decent paint brush.
BEFORE



















I am sure some of you are saying how could she paint such a lovely maple cabinet?
I struggled for a moment or two, but knew I couldn't dawdle, because my husband was on his way home, and I needed to get the first coat on before he gave me the (are you insane) look.


















I am just thrilled with the results!
I am thinking about lifting the top off the bottom,
by building a shelf- like structure (see second photo from the top). 
Anyway...
Be sure to come by tomorrow.....
I will post individual pictures of all my tea cup and saucers !
EXCITING STUFF!!!!!!!
NEXT WEEK MY FRIEND CHARLOTTE WILL BE DOING A GUEST BLOG FEATURING HER ROCK COLLECTION! seriously!
I am laughing so hard as I write this...good lord I am so funny!

2 comments: